Research Forest Ecologist, Pacific Northwest Research Station, USDA Forest Service
Affiliate faculty, Forest Science Department, Oregon State University
Forestry Sciences Laboratory
3200 Jefferson Way
Corvallis, Oregon 97331
Ph.D., Forest Ecology, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR
MF, Forest Ecology, Duke University, Durham, NC
BA, Botany, Duke University, Durham, NC
Current research projects:
- Understanding the role of environment and disturbance in regional gradients of plant community composition and diversity.
- Predictive mapping of forest composition and structure with direct gradient analysis and nearest neighbor imputation (the Gradient Nearest Neighbor method) ( www.fsl.orst.edu/clams/gnn )
- Mapping forest fuels and fire risk in three contrasting ecoregions using the Gradient Nearest Neighbor method.
- Regional assessments of vegetation biodiversity and conservation planning in large, multi-ownership regions.
- Regional variability and dynamics of large dead wood.
- DecAID, the decayed wood advisor for managing snags, partially dead trees, and down wood for biodiversity in forests of Washington and Oregon . ( wwwnotes.fs.fed.us:81/pnw/DecAID/DecAID.nsf ).
- Kerns, B.K., and J.L. Ohmann. 2004. Evaluation and prediction of shrub cover in coastal Oregon forests. Ecological Indicators 4:83-98.
- Mellen, K, B.G. Marcot, J.L. Ohmann, K.L. Waddell, E.A. Willhite, B.B. Hostetler, S.A. Livingston, and C. Ogden. 2002. DecAID: a decaying wood advisory model for Oregon and Washington . In: Laudenslayer, W.F., Jr., P.J. Shea, B.E. Valentine, C.P. Weatherspoon, and T.E. Lisle, tech. coords. Proceedings of the symposium on the ecology and management of dead wood in western forests. 1999 November 2-4; Reno , NV . Gen. Tech. Rep. PSW-GTR-181; p. 527-533.
- Ohmann, J.L., and M.J. Gregory. 2002. Predictive mapping of forest composition and structure with direct gradient analysis and nearest neighbor imputation in coastal Oregon , USA . Canadian Journal of Forest Research 32:725-741.
- Ohmann, J.L.; W.C. McComb, and A.A. Zumrawi. 1994. Snag abundance for cavity-nesting birds on nonfederal forest lands in Oregon and Washington . Wildlife Society Bulletin 22:607-620.
- Ohmann, J.L., and T.A. Spies. 1998. Regional gradient analysis and spatial pattern of woody plant communities of Oregon forests. Ecological Monographs 68:151-182.
- Ohmann, J.L., and K.L. Waddell. 2002. Regional patterns of dead wood in forested habitats of Oregon and Washington . In: Laudenslayer, W.F., Jr., P.J. Shea, B.E. Valentine, C.P. Weatherspoon, and T.E. Lisle, tech. coords. Proceedings of the symposium on the ecology and management of dead wood in western forests. 1999 November 2-4; Reno , NV . Gen. Tech. Rep. PSW-GTR-181; p. 535-560.
- Sinton, D.S., J.A. Jones, J.L. Ohmann, and F.J. Swanson. 2000. Windthrow disturbance, forest composition and structure in the Bull Run basin, Oregon . Ecology 81:2539-2556.
- Waring, R.H., N.C. Coops, J.L. Ohmann, and D.A. Sarr. 2002. Interpreting woody plant richness from seasonal ratios of photosynthesis. Ecology 83:2964-2970.
- Wimberly, M.C., and J.L. Ohmann. 2004. A multi-scale assessment of human and environmental constraints on forest land cover change on the Oregon (USA) coast range. Landscape Ecology 19:631-646.
- Wimberly, M.C., J.L. Ohmann, K.B. Pierce, M.J. Gregory, and J.S. Fried. 2003. A multivariate approach to mapping forest vegetation and fuels using GIS databases, satellite imagery, and forest inventory plots. Proceedings of the Second International Wildland Fire Ecology and Fire Management Congress. 16-20 November 2003; Orlando, FL. American Meteorological Society. ( ams.confex.com/ams/FIRE2003/techprogram/paper_65758.htm )